- A vasectomy is one of the most popular forms of contraception in the United States and worldwide. Each year, more than half million men in the US choose to get a vasectomy.
- The No Scalpel Vasectomy procedure was developed in the early 1970s in China. About 50 million No-Scalpel Vasectomies have been performed around the world.
- The introduction of no-needle, no-scalpel vasectomy has successfully allayed many men’s fears with regard to the needle and scalpel.
- Vasectomies are nearly 100 percent effective, the failure rate is estimated to be one out of every 2000 if 3 steps of occlusion is used during vasectomy:
1. cuts the vas deferens
2. destroys the lining of the tube
3. places small titanium clips (or sutures) in the vas fascia to separate the opened ends of vas deferens.
- They don’t reduce a man’s sexual drive, virility, or ability to have or enjoy sex.
- Most vasectomies are done in the doctors’ offices. A No-Scalpel Vasectomy takes only about 10 minutes.
- Most patients can go back to work in two days.
- Non-scalpel vasectomy is very safe office procedure. The incidence of complications from a vasectomy is very low due to minimal invasive non-scalpel technique.
- Sterilization for a man (vasectomy) is significantly less expensive than for a woman (tubal ligation), which may be up to five times more costly. A vasectomy can cost between $700 and $2,000. There may be little or no cost to you since most health care insurance programs cover vasectomies.
- A vasectomy has very little effect on ejaculate itself. Semen consists of sperm, fluid from the seminal vesicles and the prostate gland. Sperm is the only thing missing from the ejaculate, so removing them has little or no effect on the volume (2-5 percent ),, appearance, color, or consistency.
Limitations of Vasectomy:
- Not 100% reversible
- Must use other forms of birth-control for three months until sperm-free.
- Does not prevent transmission of sexually transmitted infections (STI’s).
Advantages of Vasectomy…
- Low one-time expense often covered by insurance companies
- More dependable than any other form of contraception including female sterilization.
- Eliminates risks associated with birth control pills or shots and the IUD.
- Vasectomy reversals are less costly and more successful than tubal ligation reversals (see Vasectomy Reversal).
- No need for inconvenient and less dependable methods, so there are…
no more worries!!!!